Friday, November 1, 2013

Self-Inflicted Wounds Review


I just finished Aisha Tyler's semi-autobiography Self Inflicted Wounds. You may know Aisha as a comedienne, co-host of The Talk, actress, voice of Lana in TV's Archer, or video game enthusiast. I bought the book, mostly because I read so many good reviews (due to the fact that I follow Tyler on Twitter) and also mostly because it was a Barnes and Noble daily deal on my Nook. Yes, I meant to say mostly twice. Oh, and I mostly think she's hilarious.


This book is a collection of short stories that showcase some of the more ridiculous moments in the star's life. Let's get right down to the review.

The Positives:  Aisha Tyler is funny AND human. I got a kick out of her metaphors and antics. The book jumps around from some highly questionable decisions (that you totally made at one point or another) starting from age 5.

On some occasions, I could understand perfectly where she was coming from, and why she made that decision. Oh, you don't respond well when people tell you what to do and do the exact opposite? Me too! Oh, you don't have a filter when you speak and sometimes say the world's dumbest things? I understand. 

There were also parts of the book that I couldn't relate to at all-and that made it all the funnier. I didn't come from San Francisco with vegetarian, hippie parents in the 70's, but that makes an excellent background for stories. Imagine it.

The Negatives: I do feel that some of her stories, to be made longer or more exciting, borderlined on preachy and redundant. I didn't feel like we needed as much justification or "feel-goodiness" after every story of high school stupidity. I felt like she didn't need to tell me, because I know. I did some of these stupid things too-new meaning to the phrase preaching to the choir, because I don't sing (especially in collegiate A Capella) .

I also feel like Tyler forgot that most Americans read at a sixth grade reading level. Either this is due to her Dartmouth education and the fact that she is well read, or the girl just wrote next to her handy thesaurus. I thought that the vocabulary was a little low-level for a comedy book. Not that I don't enjoy reading intelligent books, but I kept getting that nagging feeling in the back of my head that there is a time and a place for it. And seriously, there is no excuse for using the word "halcyon" more than once in a book, unless it's in the title. 

Overall: I liked it. Any woman who is taller than me and willing to publish super embarrassing photos of herself just to get laughs is okay in my book.  I love how Aisha Tyler was able to make fun of herself, but still feel proud of her life and accomplishments, scars and all. Don't let my negatives stop you from reading this incredibly funny book, I'd love to giggle about it with anyone who has read it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.