Thursday, November 7, 2013

Fall Recipe Friday:Chicken Black Bean Sweet Potato Enchiladas

So I'm going to try something a little different today. Fall has some of the most amazing flavors, as I am sure all you pumpkin spice latte junkies know, and I have the perfect recipe that will satisfy all your desires for fall yummies. And since I totally can't eat it right now because I am in strict pre-wedding diet mode, I'm going to share. And yes, I made up this recipe all by myself, after tweaking so many other recipes to my liking. You may be able to tell that I've never written a recipe for others to read. Shhh... It's okay.

Just a warning, you are going to want to make these in large batches (although my batch should feed six normal eaters) 1. They are that delicious, and taste just as good, if not better, reheated. 2. That's a good thing, because they take forever to make if you are starting with chicken and sweet potatoes that are uncooked.

They are flavorful, hearty, and I am sure you can see how you can cut down the cooking time by using this recipe to jazz up your post-Thanksgiving leftovers.

Ingredients:
-16 oz. mild salsa-home made or store bought, have fun with it, it can really change the flavor!
-1 15 oz. can of black beans
-6 cloves minced garlic
-1 lime or lime juice
-2 cups smashed or mashed cooked sweet potatoes
-1/2 tbsp. cumin
-1/2 tbsp. chili powder
-1 lb. chicken breast, cooked with salt, pepper, and garlic, and then shredded (or cooked turkey, yum!)
-salt and pepper (to taste)
-12 tortillas
-shredded cheese (mexican blend, cheddar, or monterey jack-your preference)
-light olive oil for pan
-1/2 cup chopped roasted green chiles (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

The filling is assembled in three separate parts.

The black bean part:
Drain black beans and mix with the lime juice and 3 tbsp of garlic in a mixing bowl.

The chicken part:
In a separate bowl, mix shredded chicken and half of your salsa.

The sweet potato part:
In a third bowl, mix sweet potatoes, cumin, chili powder and chiles (if you are using them).

Pour half of the remaining salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish. Heat a large pan with some olive oil and garlic (optional), and soften each of the tortillas, one at a time, on both sides. Then dip the tortilla in the dish of salsa to make sure it is wet, this is important so you don't have any crispy bits (I'm sure that's the technical term) on your enchilada. Then layer a bit of each of the above parts equally (1/12) into the tortillas. I like layer mine with sweet potato, then black bean, then chicken, but I am sure it won't matter if you mix it up. Place them in the baking dish once finished.

I pour the rest of the salsa over top, and add a healthy layer (meaning-a whole heck of a lot) of cheese on the top.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly.

These really are filling, and cover such a complex variety of flavors. And yes, I have done it with leftover turkey and the Thanksgiving sweet potatoes, and it was a success.

I don't currently have pictures, because that would mean me actually eating this awesomeness, but I promise you, it requires a fork (or a shovel). I am saving my calories for this cake tasting that is coming up... Have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.