Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Valley of Amazement Review

I'd like to interrupt the regularly scheduled wedding stuff to post a quick review that has been a long time in the making. I almost didn't write it, but sharing is caring.

This was an interesting journey for me. I'll keep it brief, mostly because I don't want to sway people away from reading The Valley of Amazement. The book was incredibly dynamic, compelling and well-written. The subject matter is, unfortunately, not my cup of tea.

The book takes place primarily in Shanghai, early 1900s. Vivid descriptions haunt each corner of the novel. As for what the novel is about, it's the story of the struggle for a female's independence in an otherwise male-driven world. It's about the love of family. It highlights hope, and how many hopes just lead to disappointment. The Vally of Amazement follows Violet, and her mother, Lulu. Be prepared to learn about racism and the life of a courtesan. Be prepared for your emotions to get caught in every page.

I honestly struggled to read this one. I would read a bit, and then put it down, hesitant to pick it back up again. I'd like to say it is the time of year (full of holiday cheer), but I've mentioned before that dramas, or any book with a good bit of strife, just ends up causing me stress instead of enjoyment. I prefer a simple, entertaining book to a thoughtful drama any day, no matter how well written. I decided to read the book based on the author's name instead of checking the inside cover.

If you like dramas, ignore this review. I know there are many glowing ones, from people far more qualified to review books than I am. The subject matter is interesting, and it certainly is never boring. If you are like me, then I would say pass this one up. There are other books from my Fall Reading List that I certainly enjoyed more.

This concludes my Fall List. The Winter Reading List is in full swing!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.